Tuesday, March 27, 2018

My first Keds shoes

My grandma and I were at the Arrival area of an international airport waiting for her sister's arrival from Germany. I was ten years old. They have not seen each other for five years and back then they only communicate through letters sent by mail or occasional long distance telephone calls. My grandma used to ask me to write the letters for her if her hands get tired of doing chores or I would insert some pictures of the family for her to see how everyone looks like.

It was around 3 o'clock in the afternoon when we saw her walking down the ramp with a her luggage in tow. She was wearing her usual sweater, jeans and boots combo; her hair has always been short and her skin as fair as ever. We all hugged as soon as she approached us.

 

Each time a family member arrives from abroad, it's always a treat because of the many trinkets we receive from them. Part of the family tradition is to go to duty free shops and each one gets a chance to pick one item. I chose a Keds sneakers because I was an active kid and you can't buy a pair in regular malls. She asked me if it's what I really want and I said yes while I hold the sneakers onto my chest. We live in a small town and if you want to buy branded stuff, you have to travel at least two hours. I was able to hold on for my first pair of Keds for four years before I finally let go of it. We've been through a lot of running, biking and playing at the park and those memories still hold dear to my heart because even if my grandma had to go back to Germany to work, we kind of share the fun through the Keds sneakers she bought for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...